Saturday, 7 January 2012
5 Movies I Found More Gross Than Human Centipede 2
I finally saw Human Centipede 2 last weekend and yes, it was pretty gross but I don't understand why everyone is so surprised by this? I saw the first film, I knew that he would be sowing peoples face to other peoples anuses, this isn't a surprise. I also know that sequels, need to be a little more over the top than the first one and that's kind of what I expected.
The story itself is simple, crazy guy after watching the first movie wants to create a Human Centipede except with more people. The character collects his victims, including one of the stars of the first film, Ashlynn Yennie, and puts together his human centipede. I'm not saying this isn't gross and disturbing, it is but it's not the grossest thing I've seen.
The following movies are the movies are the ones I warn people about watching or on my "never need to see that again" list.
5. Takashi Mike - I love Takashi Mike's work but the films I've seen that he's made are fucked up. I couldn't to narrow it down to one but Audition, Three Extremes, Ichi the Killer, and Imprint (which was supposed to be for the Masters of Horrors television show and was banned) are all just to messed up. With the exception of Ichi, the others films are so low key, that when he turns it up and you realize what's going on, it's too late. You've now seen one of the grossest things in your life.
4. Dumplings (2004) - Aunt Mei is famous for her age old recipe for dumplings. It has a special ingredient, and with it a magical effect and can bring youth back to people. A former TV personality, Mrs. Li comes to her for the special dumplings, so she can be attractive for her husband Mr. Li. While at these sessions, Mrs. Li finds out that Aunt Mei was once a doctor in China and performed a number of abortions. This movie, again, is very low key, and there are some really good twists but it gets seriously disturbing at the end.
3. Cannibal Holocaust (1980) - A professor finds the lost footage of a documentary film crew after finding their remains in the jungles of South America. He watches the film to find out how they came to meet their fate. Director Ruggero Deodato puts out some very disturbing images out in this film. The film crew grow more and more disrespectful of the tribe people and their enviroment. This movie has some crazy shit in it, murder, rape, penis mutilation and they even go after animals. This is no holds barred anything goes type of violence, be forewarned.
2. Last House on The Left (1972) - A pair of teenage girls are going to see a concert and stop to try and pick up some weed. They're ambushed by some escaped felons, raped and stuffed into the trunk. On they're way out of town, they have car trouble and stop at a house for assistance, unbeknownst to them, it's one of the girls home. This was Wes Craven's first film and it still rivals some of later work as being genuinely scary. The villian David Hess (RIP) was the epitome of evil in this film and every parents worse nightmare. This is a really ugly movie and I've only seen it once.
1. I Spit On Your Grave (1978) - A young writer is repeatedly attacked, humilated, raped and left to die by a group of guys. She survives and hunts them down and kills them one by one. What can I say, you're watching this poor women being raped for 45 minutes or more and you're elated to see her get her revenge. This is a really really ugly movie and I've only seen it once.
So yes, Human Centipede 2 is gross but it also lacks the imagination and the balls to really take it to the next level. There were scenes, where I thought Tom Six could really go for it and he didn't; sometimes when he did, it made me laugh and reminded me of early Peter Jackson films, like Bad Taste or Meet the Feebles but nothing truly shocking. The movies above, for good or bad went to that next level and either made me appreciate it more or made me want to turn it off and never watch it again. Would I watch Human Centipede 2 again, sure but I'd be hesitant because I know there are much more disturbing films out there to enjoy.